Thursday, May 20, 2010

Five Instructional Goals for Struggling College Basic Readers

Read an article today titled "Effective Reading Instruction for Struggling Readers: The Role of Direct/Explicit Teaching" (Rupley et al 2009) that mentioned the five instructional goals for reading acquisition:
  1. Phonemic awareness
  2. Phonics
  3. Fluency
  4. Vocabulary
  5. Comprehension
I will admit that I instruct students in my community college basic writing classes in goals 3 through 5 but not much (if at all) in the first two.  My first impression is that phonemic awareness and phonics instruction are for elementary educators.  But there is evidence that phonemic awareness and phonics instruction are being taught to college basic readers.  One of the things I gleaned from the latter article, is that "assessments that test word recognition, phonics, and fluency are equally as important as those that assess comprehension and vocabulary."

I'll be looking for such an assessment.  Comments are welcome from anyone who knows of assessments for word recognitionk, phonics, and fluency.

No comments:

Post a Comment